Sabic awarded Balfour Beatty to construct its Ethane storage facility at Teeside, who appointed Cidon Construction to build the new 77000 m3 reinforced concrete circular Ethane containment tank. Cidon in turn, awarded Doka UK to be its full service formwork provider for the project. The statistics and construction methods used are spectacular and unique.
• 77,000 m3 full containment Ethane tank exceeded the recent 60000 m3 tank at Grangemouth
• 67.5 m diameter x 34 m high external wall x 5800 m3 concrete (ready mix)
• Tapered circular wall with 4 full height post–tensioning buttresses
• 9 x 3.65 m construction lifts at an average construction cycle of 15 days
• 500 tonne steel roof frame floated into position on 1.5 bar pressure
• The tank was capped off with a 3.0 m concrete ring beam poured in 2 lifts and 500 mm thick reinforced concrete roof poured in 2 x 250 mm layers.
• Pre-build concept planning and advise.
• Detailed formwork design from foundation slab to ring beam.
• Rental of formwork equipment.
• Pre-assembly of >1560 m2 of formwork + 68 No x 2.6 m wide main access platforms.
• Planned logistics for formwork supply, delivery and returns.
• On-site training of Cidon workforce in the safe and efficient use of Doka’s formwork.
• Supported by Doka’s comprehensive administration.
Doka Formwork Solutions